Monday, September 6, 2010

What Happened?

Today I have been fiddling around in photoshop.  First I scanned in a charcoal drawing of this dude smoking a cigarette.  I used charcoal opposed to pencil because charcoal can be scanned as black and white, yet unlike ink you still get that pencil "feel."  Then I found some colored paper and scanned that in too.  In shop, I cut out the shapes from the scanned paper, and layered them below the charcoal drawing.  It's a pretty cool technique because you get some great textures from the scanned paper.  Next time I should try fabrics.

The benefit of this technique is it's a nice break from using the default colors in photoshop, which are boring.  

I was going for sixties cool, but the colors I chose ended up looking pretty 80s.  I'll have to experiment more.

Below is a test I did earlier to see how well charcoal scans. 

1 comment:

Anna See said...

sounds like a technique I employ too :) It's fun. And, you actually can scan in pencil in black/white....just check the grayscale option when scanning in the image, then you can play with the levels in Photoshop to make it more high contrast black and white.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...